CareerSource Florida (formerly Workforce Florida Inc.) and The Whetstone Group Partner to Expand Florida’s IT Talent Supply Chain
In a grant sponsored by CareerSource Florida, implemented by The Whetstone Group, and supported by the many project stakeholders and industry partners, 25 middle schools across the state of Florida established CAPE Information Technology Career Academies in the last two (2) years.
In this highly successful project, students from rural, mid-size and metropolitan area middle schools representing diverse populations and learning environments (including Dept. of Juvenile Justice and Title 1) began earning IT skills identified as in-demand by the state of Florida. As these middle school students continue to add nationally recognized industry certifications to their portfolios throughout high school and post secondary education opportunities…Florida is actively establishing a sustainable IT talent supply chain with the digital skill sets to meet the needs of the state.
The project began in the Spring of 2012 and building on the overwhelming success of the 2012 project (15 new Middle School IT Career Academies were established resulting in 150+ Microsoft® and Adobe® certifications earned in the first semester and more than 1500 certifications earned in the first year), CareerSource Florida Inc. and The Whetstone Group announced a Phase II roll out adding 10 more Middle School IT career Academies opening in School Year 2013-2014.
Each Participating School received products and services valued at more than $30,000!!
- Technical Assistance conducted by The Whetstone Group (TWG) subject matter experts (including a 3 day Workshop*, teleconferences, webinars and one-on-one consulting).
- LEAD Model – A step-by-step check list of “how to” design and implement a sustainable CAPE IT Career Academy
- Microsoft Office Specialist Approved 2010 Electronic Courseware
- Microsoft Office 2010 Pre/Post Practice Assessment Exams
- Instructor Resources
- Lesson Plans with suggested timings for each topic
- PowerPoint presentations with content from each lesson of the learning content
- Set of instructor data files which are the completed versions of the exercises to be used for reference
- Access to Learning.com – A Peer to Peer platform for “best practices” and “student project sharing”
- Access to WIN Learning Soft Skills technology
Web site design by:
CHOICE IT Career Academy Students
Web V Class, Niceville High School
- Megan Hill – Project Manager – CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, Adobe Flash CS5, Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Austin Savage – CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, SEO, Adobe Flash CS5, Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Farrah Floyd – CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, SEO, Adobe Flash CS5, Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Brad Fehrenbach – CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, SEO, Adobe Flash CS5, Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Anthony Provost -CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, SEO, Adobe Flash CS5, Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Brad Weeks – CIW Associate Design Specialist, CIW Pro, SEO, Adobe Flash CS5
- Under the Instruction of Mrs. April Branscome